Snapshot of Mulgrave
Area: 819 km²
Estimated Residential Population (2016): 54, 518
Principal Areas: Edmonton, Mount Sheridan, Bentley Park, Gordonvale, Woree, White Rock, Bayview Heights, Yarrabah
The electorate name of Mulgrave was originally given to a seat around Bundaberg in 1872. The name was revived in 1949 for the current electorate location. Following a redistribution in 1991, the seat became predominately coastal. In the 2017 Redistribution Mulgrave expanded in the north gaining electors from Cairns, while transferring its southern portion to the new electorate of Hill.
The traditional inhabitants of the area include the Dulabed and Malanbarra Yidinji people and the Mandingalbay Yidinji people.
The Mulgrave River was named by the explorer George Elphinstone Dalrymple in 1873 after the family of the Governor of Queensland, the Second Marquess of Normanby, who was styled Earl of Mulgrave before succeeding to his father’s title.
In 1897 the Cairns divisional board financed a railway line to Gordonvale’s central mill, and by 1910 extended the line in stages to Babinda. The line was incorporated into the North Coast line in 1912.