More than $80 million is up for grabs for sporting clubs around Queensland, so Treasurer and Mulgrave MP Curtis Pitt wants to get local clubs fighting for their fair share.
Mr Pitt said it was a big funding boost to the hugely successful Get in the Game initiative.
“This $80 million funding allocation to assist sport and recreation at the grassroots level will be rolled out over the next three years,” Mr Pitt said.
“This is a $10 million increase on the funding allocated to the initiative in its first three years so I want local clubs to seize this opportunity.
“I strongly urge all sport and recreation clubs in Mulgrave to make a start on their applications and check out how Get in the Game can work for their club.
“Already around 100,000 vouchers valued at up to $150 have been provided to young people who least can afford to join a recreation club and help them get into sporting activities.
“On top of that, hundreds of clubs throughout the state have received funding for club capacity projects to improve their facilities, buy equipment and support participation.
“Local sport and recreation clubs not only promote the benefits of physical activity and a healthy wellbeing, they are a valuable asset to communities – to bring everyone together and create a friendly local environment.”
Funding for each program will include:
• Get Started Vouchers – $15 million over three years for vouchers of up to $150 to assist children and young people who can least afford to join a sport or recreation club.
• Get Going Clubs – $10.5 million over three years for funding of up to $7,500 for equipment and projects that improve access to sport and recreation activities.
• Get Playing Places and Spaces – $33 million over three years for funding of up to $100,000 for new or upgraded sport and recreation facilities.
• Get Playing Plus – $22.635 million over two years for funding between $300,000 and $1.5 million for new or upgraded sport and recreation facilities that meet regional and community needs.
Mr Pitt said the opening dates for upcoming rounds of each program are:
• Get Started Vouchers – 15 July 2015
• Get Playing Places and Spaces – 3 August 2015
• Get Going Clubs – 3 August 2015
• Get Playing Plus – 1 September 2015
For more information on all Get in the Game program dates, visit www.npsr.qld.gov.au/getinthegame